Monday, June 16, 2008

Zoomii Grand Opening Day!

Today the doors swing open! No more logins required!

The grand pre-opening went flawlessly: no technical glitches, a lot of happy people, and great feedback.

To start off the day, here's a great post about Zoomii on the Amazon Web Services blog, written by Mike Culver, an AWS evangelist I had the privilege to meet in Toronto last year.

Enjoy the store!


Ray Vander Veen said...

Way to go, Chris! 1.5 years of hard work has paid off. Thank you for allowing me to be part of it!

Declan Whelan said...

Nice! I really like how I can cruise around and stumble upon books I would not otherwise find.

Some suggestions:

Have a mouse hover display the book title or bookshelf name - useful when zoomed out.

Consider up and down arrows on bookshelfs (in addition to left and right).

Consoder a color coded legend with colors for different categories. Perhaps the bookshelf background color could be use for this effect - but suggest muted tones.

JT said...

The day has finally come! I think a lot of people are going to be very impressed by your bookstore. I certainly am. From now on, I'll be buying all my books the Zoomii-way.

Pichi said...

It is not working in "Mozilla/5.0 (X11; U; Linux i686; en-US; rv: Gecko/20080404 Iceweasel/ (Debian-". I can see only black box.

Chris Thiessen said...

Ray. You da man!

Declan. Thanks. Totally agree. There should be a better way to see the lay of the land when zoomed out.

Thanks, jt.

Pichi, thanks for the bug report. I updated my browser detection code. Is it working for you now?

Vince said...


I just found zoomii and I absolutely *love* the idea. However - it would be great if you could offer this service for more amazon stores. Mine would be the German one for example. That way you would definitely get a lot more fans! (and more aff-payments ;) )

Thanks anyway!


Bryan said...

Only seeing a black screen with Opera 9.5.